Friday 4 December 2009

+ Hit.. WTF and how to optimise it

I was minding my own business doing my thing with the guild, running the regular raids with preparing from Ice Crown in mind. When all of a sudden my DPS took a nose dive... And I mean a serious kick in the twins! >< I could not figure out what was going on. So I went back to basics and rebuilt my equipment.

Step 1: +hit put your hit gear back on. It was here that I hit my first big hurdle. I only had + 184 hit rating. thats right 7.01% WTF. how had this happened.

It wasn't actually that much of a disaster. but it was a wake up call to be more careful about wanting to stack spell power and haste like crazy. So reconciling this back I got

+7.01% Equipment
+3.00% Arcane Spells (Talent Arcane Subtley)
+3.00% All Spells (Talent Precision)
+1.00% Assume Draenei is in the party
+3.00% Assume Boomkin/Priest
17.01% Total

Ok. so somewhere along the line my build had made sense. It was with this that I realised it was the move into 25 man raiding that made my current equipment choices viable. In a 10 man its to much to expect +4.00% hit coming from other sources.

And after talking to some Boomkins most of them don't even take the talent to give the hit bonus. /QQ

So it looks like rebalancing for hit should solve some problems. But then I was thinking... Surely because my DPS is still good (just not great) its being propped up. But how... It was then I remembered reading an artical way back when I was new about about the effect of critical strike on hit.

Wowwiki likes to think that critical strikes and hit are independant. That is its rolls to hit, and if you hit roles to crit.

Therefore (using modelling methods for simplicity)

Max + Hit and + 0.00% Critical Strike = 100.00% DPS
Max + Hit and + 1.00% Critical Strike = 101.00% DPS
Max + Hit and +2.00% Critical Strike = 102.00% DPS

99% Hit and +0.00% Critical Strike = 99.00% DPS
99% Hit and +1.00% Critical Strike = 99.98% DPS
99% Hit and +2.00% Critical Strike = 100.96% DPS

Clearly this is not favourable. but it does show that is your running short on +hit, raw power often from better itemised items can, overall, adjust favourably.

Now lets worst case this for myself.

90% Hit and +30% Critical Strike = 114% DPS (I actually normally have around 60% raid buffed)

so my additional DPS from critical strike is over halved. becuase I let my hit rating slip too low.

My remendy is actually very simple, I used the equipment manager to make some suits

Suit 1: + 7.01% is now my OMG everything is here spec and
Suit 2: +8.01% the Boomkin/Priest but no Draenei suit
Suit 3: +10.01% was created for Draenei in the party
Suit 4: +11.01% Fail suit, in that is suppiles all the + hit it needs itself.

My final comment is why the extra 0.01%? simple. to account for rouding errors.

I will let you know how this works out, as while I think having the extra options is nice, what if the Boomkin dies? what is the itemisation cost of +1% hit? Is it better to be hit capped simply to stop it becoming an issue when arguable +1.00% Crit ~ +0.99% hit (the ratio decreases exponentially)

No comments:

Post a Comment